Monday, August 27, 2012

Tattoos


I have tattoos and piercings. My hair has been every color under the sun - except green, could never bring myself to try that one - so before opinions are made, let me explain why I do the things I do.

BECAUSE I FUCKING WANT TO.

I got my first tattoo when I was 18. My brothers had them, it was just the thing to do at that time in my life. I was out on my own, had a nice place, nice car, nice job. I feel like getting a tattoo is part of every kid's rite of passage into adulthood. The difference for me was that I enjoyed it way too much. Well, not even too much. I really enjoyed it. I got it at a shop that offered free touch ups for life, so I'd go back and get it touched it every once in a while just for that feeling again. Color me addicted.



Now, funny story about my second tattoo. I was living with my best friend at her dad's house. It was days before my birthday, and he randomly decided that he was going to start tattooing. He rigged a machine at home, and we drew up a design for her back, and one for me as well, and two hours later, we had new tattoos. Prison style, if you will.

(Image coming soon)

I got my third tattoo a year and a half later. I was living with a girl friend, we had both gone through break ups, we were both Virgos. So I drew up a virgo symbol and we went to get it tattooed. I got mine on my lower back, she got hers on the top of her foot. (Really? That's the worst place to have ink, except during the few hours you're outside in the summer, and then the sun fades the ink. So yeah. Bad place.)
It wasn't enough for me, it was just a small tattoo in the middle of my wide back. Back to the tattoo shop for me! This time, I drew up something reflecting more on my sense of style and what meant a lot to me, and I came up with the stars and moon and sun with rays. Only the idiot at the shop traced my drawing (which was shitty) and slapped it on my back without redoing anything about it. I was pissed. I ended up going back to the owner and having him fix it. *(It's ridiculously hard to get a good picture of your lower back by yourself, so I'll have to have my husband take a picture and upload it later. Stay tuned for more awesome tattoo pictures!)*
Next up is my leg piece.
It's a backwards tribal 'S' with 5 stars. In the middle is an explosion. It represents that life is never as good or as bad as you may think. It can always go either way. It gives me something to look forward to, and feel grateful about at the same time. My friend's husband did this one in his living room. This time with a real tattoo machine. Yay for legitimacy.
Also, try really hard not to stare at the stupid hairs on my leg.




One summer, a friend of mine was working as a piercer for a tattoo shop and they were having a celebration, doing small tattoos for cheap. I jumped on the wagon and got 5 stars on my left wrist. I have a thing for stars. I also have a thing for 5. That's how many siblings I have. Because I love my family.




Which brings us to my last piece (for now). I am currently working on my sleeve. My one and only. It's only a quarter sleeve, so it can be covered up if I need to. I have a stargazer lily at the center, representing myself. It is only an outline, which I shall keep that way for now.
Dragonfly represents my brother Michael. We've always been closest, and the dragonfly is my totem animal. When I see one, I know I'm where I'm supposed to be.
Koi fish is for my brother Ethan. He has a koi fish in his sleeve, and it also represents family.
The blue star is for my brother Greg. He's always been a lone star, never got married, and stayed in Texas when we moved.
The flying eagle is for my brother Stuart, retired Marine.
The chrysanthemum is for my baby sister Abbi. It's her birth month flower. She's really into basketball, but who wants an orange ball on their arm?
The rings have my parents dates of birth in roman numerals on them. Intertwined to represent a unified being. I was lucky, in that I had two parents together during my childhood. I have two half brothers from my dad's previous marriage, but their mother wasn't involved.
To tie it all in together, I am going to add cosmic clouds. That is yet unfinished.
To all people interested in getting a tattoo, I suggest getting something that means a lot to you. Something that you'll look at years down the road and think "That is still awesome".
Also, give it some thought. The impulsive tattoos are the least awesome, I promise. Like my stars on my wrist. Yes, it means something to me, yes it's awesome, but I wish I had gotten it in a different place. One that is less on my hand, and more on my forearm, so I can hide it if I needed to.
Another thing, make it yours. I would never get someone else's symbol or logo on my body, it's not mine. All my tattoos have been my own design. Color, placement, size, etc.
I've got lots of experience with tattoos, if you have any questions, let me know!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...